Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ubuntu 11.04 a.k.a. Natty Narwhal

This week  I got time to upgrade my personal server which was running Ubuntu 10.10 to the new version 11.04 a.k.a. Natty Narwhal. The process wasn't really difficult as many years ago when it used to take hours! and a lot of CD's.

This time I just launched the Update Manager and the notification for the new version was already there and asking if I wanted to install it. You just need to run this command:
sudo update-manager -d

New Upgrade :)

Rlease Notes

Preparing upgrade

I pressed upgrade and after asking for the root user it started the whole process. It removed a lot of old packages and replace others with the new version. One think I really like it is that I made some modifications to some config files and the upgrade tool asked me if I wanted to preserve the old ones or replace them with the new ones. This was great because I was afraid I had to re-do that work again.
Summary of things to do
The whole process might have taken around 2 hours mostly because the Ubuntu servers were so busy with all the installations that sometimes it was really slow to download the packages needed. The traffic must have been really heavy.
Installing new version
Some Clean up
At the end everything was fine but since it is a server I couldn't run the new UI Unity it seems I have to configure my graphics card and makes sense since Unity uses Compiz to run so I might need to take some more time to fix it, either way I like the classic UI.
New Scroll UI
Another new things are the new Ubuntu Software Center , Ubuntu One which lets you synchronize everything between computers and everyone gets 2GB for free, it also lets you stream your music. I need to try this one although 2GB is not too much.
Ubuntu Control Center
Ubuntu One
Talking about software it comes with Nautilus 2.32.2, GNOME 2.32.1, Firefox 4.0, Shotwell 0.9.2, Empathy 2.34.0, Banshee 2.0, LibreOffice 3.3.2, Evolution 2.32.2, Gwibber 3.0.0.1, Xorg Server 1.10.1, X.Org 7.6, Totem 2.32.2, Compiz 0.9.4, GDM 2.32.1, GRUB 1.99 RC1, Mesa 7.10, New artwork, Linux kernel 2.6.38.3, Compiz Fusion 0.9.4 and many more. They did replace OpenOffice with LibnreOffice.
LibreOffice
You can read the complete set of new features in its official page. I like Ubuntu and I would like it more once I am able to configure and run Unity.

Enjoy the new version :)

No comments:

Post a Comment